1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of paypal questions

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Rodney, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Rodney New Member

Hi guys!

I'm reworking a bit of the software to replace the existing newspaper classifieds in my town and, I've got a couple quick questions. I hope I'm in the right forum.

In the config file for paypal, I see the following bit of code and was curious as to what that actually does. I was thinking it was possible set to allow the payment form on our site instead of sending the user to paypals gateway, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

PHP:
    $data['gateway']['cconsite'] = 'Y';
    Secondly, and I know this isn't exactly a 68 Classifieds issue, but I'm not having much luck with google I'm afraid. Is it possible to have paypal process the payments without requiring the user to have an email address? We've got the Website Payments Pro account, if that helps at all. ( Reason for this is that we'll have several customers a week call in to place an ad with us and we need to be able to bypass putting in the email in case they don't have one. Believe it or not, we've got a lot of old foogies around these parts that are still in the dark ages. :) )

I appreciate any help anyone could provide. Thank you tremendously for your time.
  2. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

In order to collect the credit card information onsite, you would need to make your own custom payment gateway. The PayPal Gateway from 68 Classifieds is designed to only use IPN. PayPal has many, many different variables and rules that are specific to which protocol and account that you have. Of course you can't take CC information on your site unless you have an SSL certificate. Also depending on where you live, you may also need to comply with certain financial regulations in order to do that.

Regarding your question about not having an email, would mean that the end user would have no way to use the built in "contact the owner". As you're actually a newspaper and taking classified orders over the phone, then I would suggest that you make one "call in" account for the paper itself that all of your call in customers would have their classified listing placed under. I would also recommend that you set up an admin account and place your call in ads via that admin account. I would assume that you have your own payment system for call in ads, like billing them in snail mail or your own Merchant terminal to accept CC payments.
    Rodney likes this.
  3. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

Also, as you are new here and don't show as a customer either...
    You should specify what version of the 68 Classifieds software script that you are using when you post your questions. (e.g. the current version at this time is v4.2.4)

As with any software, features are added and functionality changes between versions. Without having that information, it is difficult to offer what options are available to you.
    Rodney likes this.
  4. Rodney New Member

Thanks for the replies!

We are using v4.2.3 Developer

That is what they are wanting, for whatever reason. Is there an easy way to turn off the required email field?
  5. Rodney New Member

Nevermind. I was able to figure it out. I appreciate the help tremendously.