1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sort by Extra Field

Discussion in 'Templates, HTML, CSS, and Design Help' started by blackorange, Jan 11, 2012.

1. blackorange Member

Hi,

I've managed to get some extra fields showing up in the listings page, however I would like to know if anyone has the code to make it possible for them to be sortable...

http://www.jspecs.co.uk/categories/rz/page/1.html

(Year, Mileage, Colour)

The main one for me is Price, which is fine as part of the core system (I guess), but having these others would be great too...

Thanks
    Tom
  2. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

I really don't see how this is going to be achievable without a considerable development effort and rework of the way extrafields are defined.

Wanted to also say you have made a great job of customizing the Sigma template sympathetically. It just shows what can be done.
  3. blackorange Member

Fair enough, I thought that might be the case... I'll leave it as is.

Thanks
  4. Bronxgodzilla Ageless Member

Tom I second what SeymourJames says about your custom work. How did you get all your pix to remain consistently "square"? Are you customizing all the pix being sent you? -- although I see you allow people to place their own ads. If so, what image settings have you found which allows all kinds of photos (normally sent uploaded) to be so consistent? I still have to say what a great functional site it is -- are there all dealers like the Porsche in Woodland Hills? Great shots to begin with.
  5. Bronxgodzilla Ageless Member

BTW I did get custom programming some time ago (from TemplateCodes), on an old site, to search and order on extrafields. Costly, but worth it at the time.
  6. krystle New Member

I am more than happy to put in the effort to learn how to do this however I need some direction on how to do so, any advice would be brilliant!

At the least I have to have the filtered options (additional to the core ones already featured in 'advanced' search i.e. state/ country/ price etc) are if its wanted or offering/ by trade type (service for service, product for product, buy, sell or giveaway) and by listing type (ending soon, most recent, most viewed, featured).

Any direction will be greatly appreciated!
  7. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

You would need to pretty much completely rewrite the "function getAllListings()", in the core kernal class, "Listings.php". I don't see it having anything to do with a "rework of the extrafields are defined" though. Be forewarned though, unless you are both a very advanced php programmer AND mySQL expert, I wouldn't recommend touching it at all. This search function is ANYTHING but simple as it touches several different database tables, uses several join statements and has to take into consideration the large number of different extra field types.
  8. krystle New Member

9. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

10. krystle New Member

Thanks heaps, doing it right now :)
    By the way how can I send you an explanation image to display visually what I am after?
    I noticed you don't have a file upload option on your contact form.