1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really really new here

Discussion in 'Templates, HTML, CSS, and Design Help' started by Chelle, May 24, 2014.

1. Chelle New Member

Ok, I hope I am not going to get yelled at but I am going to ask how do I use the software!? I am afraid I have absolutely no idea even though I am good at website design, this just confuses me. I know I need to use MYSQL and get my web hosting company to install but I am afraid of how to proceed, where do I start first? All the files in the software after I purchased and downloaded, look really confusing. I know index.php is the home page, and I opened it in dreamweaver and then another editor and all I get is the script. Where are the templates!!??? I am sorry if this is a really stupid question, but as I said I am new and ready to learn new stuff here! I hope someone can kindly tell me where to start and how to go about it all and then I should be on the right track. I see there are too many threads and no search does not work to find what I need to know so I am posting this thread. If there is another like this, direct me to that. No I dont want to ask an experienced developer to do it for me as I simply can't afford it! So I need to do it myself hence this thread. Sorry!
  2. freeze2 Super Moderator

Hi there, I would recommend starting with classifieds documentation for complete installation instructions.

http://www.68classifieds.com/documentation/

68C also has a service available to set it up for you at a nominal fee.
  3. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

Hi Chelle,

No one should be "yelling" at you for asking questions. That's what the forums are for. You should read through the documentation, especially the part about templates. You should not need to to touch any files other than your template files for your website design. If you are going to customize your design, then you should make a copy of the default template folder instead of modifying the original for a number of reasons.

You might also benefit from reading an old blog article I wrote about modifying the default template here. Although it is an older articles covering an older version of 68 Classifieds, the information is still accurate and explains a lot beyond the documentation about the templating system.
  4. jason1971 Customer

Welcome to the forum Chelle,

If you have uploaded everything to your hosting provider and your site is up and running you can access your template files from your admin section www.yourdomainname.com/administration .

Once logged in to your admin choose the right hand option called 'Settings' , then you will see a link called 'Template editor' from there choose which template you are using IE: default, purple, deepsea etc.. from there you can access / change your basic template files. I usually copy the file I want to amend to my Microsoft Notepad before I make any changes that way if things don't work or look right you can simply copy the original from notepad.

Hope this helps somewhat

Jason
  5. Chelle New Member

Thanks guys! :) The help was wonderful and has been able to steer me in the right direction. Yes I thought too I will have to make a copy too if I make changes. Seems I'm on the right track :)