1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my catagory display is all funky. Help!

Discussion in 'Templates, HTML, CSS, and Design Help' started by MrNoNo, Feb 14, 2012.

1. MrNoNo New Member

Hi everybody. Long time reader, first time poster.

I am hoping to get some help with a site I reciently put up. I realized last night that it's acting up and I've tried a few things but I haven't fixed it yet.

When I click on a category to view a list of my active classified ads, the listing column titles "photo,title,price" etc. are all messed up. and the search results overlap the right hand toolbar. Yikes! :eek: Obviously I can't leave it this way.

Navigate here and you can see for yourself.

Michigan Gun Trader WTB Wanted to Buy

I took a template that had been built for me by a developer (which worked fine) and modified the style sheet to change the colors, and modified the layout.tpl to include some banners.

I wondered if maybe ftp had corrupted some of the files when I uploaded it so I re uploaded:
    -catagories.php in my main folder and in the template folder
    -my css style sheet
    -layout and home tpl for my template

and none of those fixes worked. Now I'm at a loss. WTH did I do?

I'm a bit of a noob so if any of you more experienced developers out there wouldn't mind laying an eye on this I would greatly appreciate it! thanks.
  2. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

Look in your css style sheet and see what you have done with the selector "th".

Firstly you have a repeated image and it seems to small to fill the height.

background: url(../images/custom/headerbg.jpg) repeat-x;

You will notice this works because the color fills below.

background: #17094e url(../images/custom/headerbg.jpg) repeat-x;

or you can define a height in px and make sure your image has the same height as well.

In general you should get a copy of Web developer which is a free plugin for Firefox. You can use the cs outline tool (outline current element) to see what is doing what.
  3. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

You didn't "do" anything. The reason that it is showing in that fashion is that the table heading "View Listing" extends beyond the width of the column forcing the text to wrap to a second line. Since ALL of the table headings are in one table row, the height of the row must be same.

It would be up to you as to how you would want to correct the issue. There are several different methods that could be used.

Personally if it were me, I would just get rid of the "View Listing" column as it serves no additional functionality to the end users, since the thumbnail picture and the title both are clickable links to view the listing. That would be the fastest and easiest method and can just be turned off in the administration settings. No coding necessary and your users don't lose anything.
  4. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

It is a good idea to take that column out. If not it works by putting in a background color. The color I gave is what is at the bottom of your repeating image. In the screenshot i just filled it without the image.

Attached Files:

5. freeze2 Super Moderator

A couple other options would be to remove the table header cell (th) completely as it really doesn't serve any purpose.

If it were me, I would remove the whole 3rd column of your site as it appears that is just duplicates the left navigation...this would free up space for better displaying of your listings.
  6. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

Yes but what about sorting?

Removing the column works or put a taller image in or a background fill. Personally I always remove the column as suggested as it is obvious to click on the link.
  7. MrNoNo New Member

Thanks ladies and gents for the fast reply. I'm gonna get a chance to implement some of your suggestions tonight. I'll keep ya posted!