1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Item Checkout

Discussion in 'Templates, HTML, CSS, and Design Help' started by galveston, Jan 28, 2012.

1. galveston Customer

Does anyone know of a mod or a way for people to select more than one item to purchase? A simple shopping cart I suppose.
  2. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

You could look to integrate e-junkie. I use it on TemplateCodes.
  3. galveston Customer

Shopping cart

Do you have any suggestions or a tutorial you could point me to how to intergrating a shopping cart with my 68 website?
    I familiar with shopping carts with paypal, Goddaddy's and zen cart but I dont have a clue where to begin and keep the flow to "add a listing".
    My site is for real estate and after they purchase their listing package they need to be able to add on a sign, lockbox and flyers to their order. I checked out E-Junkie and it seem straight forward when used with a static HTML site but not sure for 68.
    http://galvestonfsbo.com/data/usercheckout.php

Thank you,
    Heidi
  4. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

If you are presenting advertisers with an opportunity to purchase other stuff then you are perhaps better off redirecting them at the end of the checkout process to a static page where you can use paypal, e-junkie etc.
  5. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

There's nothing existing that does what you describe. I imagine a custom module could be made for something like that as an additional step in the checkout process prior to the final checkout, or a pop up window to add extras.
  6. galveston Customer

custom module

What would be the process in creating a custom module? Could I remove the "choose a package" page that comes after their listing category has been selected, and then after they enter all of their listing info (its a lot) then redirect them to a shopping cart page?
    Galveston For Sale By Owner
  7. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

They would still need to go through the 68 checkout process, then just a "detour" so to speak to add the additional options and then back into the checkout to finalize and pay and process the order to activate the listing.

If you're interested in developing such a module yourself, then start with the developers online documentation for modules.
  8. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

If you are trying to up sell, you would be better doing this at the end of the checkout. You would not need a module to do this. Also, I don't see how it makes sense to do it within the checkout unless you can add the payment for the actual listing into the cart (which you can't unless the cart supports IPN for example - paypal example).
  9. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

I believe that you are missing the whole point. Doing what you suggests, makes the buyer go through a separate purchase after paying for their listing, whether it's e-junkie or whatever cart system that you are suggesting. How is that better?

Let's define some things here...
    Cart: A mechanism to hold items to be purchased.
    Payment System: A system allowing a customer to pay for items in their cart or hands.

The cart itself doesn't have anything to do with paying for the items that you put in it.

68 Classifieds doesn't have a cart (it uses your 'hands'), but does have a Payment system.

A grocery store analogy of this process:
    The way you are suggesting: You walk in and go through the store. You pick up a listing in one hand, you can possibly hold a few extra items in your other hand such as a featured, bold and highlighted upgrade. You go to the register and pay for the listing and the upgrades that you can carry in your hands. When you pay for the items, the store activates your listing.

Now, you walk out with your purchased item and upgrades. There's a separate vendor outside selling some shiny things that you also want. So you pick up those additional items and then pay for them (a separate purchase).

The way I'm suggesting, using a module (acting like a cart): You walk in and go through the store, the same as above, BUT when you are in the line for the register, there's a rack of impulse buy items with a basket (the module). You grab the basket, put your listing and upgrades in it and then you ALSO put in a snickers bar, a pack of gum and some batteries. You then proceed to the cash register and pay for ALL of your items at once using the ONE payment system provided by the store which then still activates your listing and upgrades and you walk out.
  10. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

Correct. If you care to read - you do anything during the checkout process and you will be into complexity and quite a difficult development - you will need a return signal to activate the listing for a start. I actually think it is not a great idea anyway because if you interfere with people placing ads the bounce rate will simply go up. Buying additional items en route creates decisions to be made in what needs to be the quickest and smoothest process possible (would you buy something from GDaddy - drives me nuts - I refuse). I would do it afterwards even at the 'cost' of them having to do a payment process again. At least you will have their listing and it appears honestly optional. There is also no development to do worth mentioning. You simply change the final redirection page to your affiliates page or sales page.
  11. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

Well, everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion.

However, the point of this thread is that the poster wants to do it this way, allowing the user to purchase additional items at checkout.

Additionally, If you read my analogy of doing it this way there is NO NEED for
    that's the whole point, it is using the 68 classifieds payment gateway system which already has the callback process in it which activates the listing (or whatever the settings are set for checkout).

I would personally be pretty pissed off if you redirected me to your affiliates site after I paid for my item to purchase additional stuff and not back to your site. But, that is just my own personal opinion. The poster and others may have a different opinion of being automatically redirected to a different site to make more purchases.
  12. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

Why a different site - you can simply say, are you interested in bla bla YES or NO. Go for it Mr Sanctimonious- develop it as you clearly think you know. I will buy one from you. That will make two of us.
  13. galveston Customer

I'm still confused on how best to facilitate this check out process.
    The need isn't for an up sell it is a need for people to add physical items to their listing that they will actually need.
    1. is the listing itself
    2. is the choice of adding a lock box, a sign, showing service , pro photography and contract services. Not everybody can use all of the optional items and trying to package them together is very confusing.
    Can I bypass the Step 2 (choose a package) and capture their listing info and images, provide the listing preview step 6, but then redirect them to a shopping cart to make their purchase?

Can anyone at 68 create blank add on fields as they have with "featured listing" and "bold" ? That would solve the problem.
    Thanks guys
  14. galveston Customer

15. galveston Customer

Ok. I figured out a work-around. I set up one package with $0 dollar value so it skips that page all together.
    The consumer will:
    1. Place an ad
    2. Enter Ad info
    3. Place images
    4. Verify/confirm ad
    5. Thank you page comes up and it now says "Thank you for entering your property information. Please proceed to check out to choose your listing package."
    and I addded a "PROCEED TO CHECK-OUT" button on the Thank You page that takes them to my own shopping cart that I will create with PayPal add to cart buttons.

What do you think?

http://galvestonfsbo.com/data/thanks.php?gateway=check
  16. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

I hate to say it but this is basically what I said. Do it afterwards. Your only issue with a free listing is if you don't want to offer a free listing. Unless I am mistaken the listing will be posted even if they exit at this point. In general it is quite difficult to charge for a listing nowadays. Other business models seem to work better - your one included has more promise ( at this point in the process they are captive so to speak).
  17. galveston Customer

I'm going to set the listings to "must be verified by admin" before it gets cleared to post. I have to do that anyway to get the proper forms signed and sent back to me to be compliant with our local real estate board. Thank you for all of your help. This has been a journey trying to get it off the ground. Advertising for it hits tomorrow, wish me luck. :)
  18. seymourjames All Hands On Deck

Good luck - real estate is one of the most competitive areas.