1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Browser issues

Discussion in 'Templates, HTML, CSS, and Design Help' started by Wes, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Wes New Member

Hey everyone!
    I'm new to 68C and an amateur for sure. Anyways, my site looks fine in Chrome, which is what I mainly use. But in IE and Firefox when I go to browse the ads in a category a lot of the text is not showing up. Any insight would be great. I know the pictures in the temp ads are all jumbly. I have that figured out now !
    Thank you :)

www.selloffroad.com
  2. freeze2 Super Moderator

Hey Wes, welcome here!

Design is something that takes time and a lot of trial and error. I took a quick look at your page and see the "jumbly" you are mentioning. I would probably start by referring to the default templates to see how they are structured and then duplicate them on your custom template. After that, try making one change at a time and test regularly on your different browsers.

All the best!
  3. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

I'm not certain that I completely understand what you mean by, "a lot of the text is not showing up." It looks the same to me when I view your site in Firefox, Chrome or IE11.

A few things to bear in mind regarding this:
    1. If you are logged in as an administrator when viewing this, the showlistings(2).tpl file may show additional fields not shown to a guest user and/or a registered logged in user. (These are set in the administration users/groups) as what they can see when viewing the site.
    2. It looks like you have made a "custom" template, however you just modified an existing template folder (purplicious). You need to understand that a custom template (any template other than the "default" template) only needs to have a config.php, style.css, layout.tpl and directory with any images needed. If a template file is needed such as "showlistings(2).tpl" and the custom template folder has no such template file, it will automagically use the needed file from the "default" template folder. It is recommended that you copy any subtemplate files (any that are not the layout.tpl main file) into your custom template folder to modify them.
    You may want to spend a little bit of time researching/learning some of the basic concepts on how all of these things work. Here are a few links to help get you started:
    • Mike-N-Tosh blog for modifying the default template article (An article I wrote a few years back, but still applies)
    • 68 Classifieds online documentation for templates
    • Smarty.net (The templating system used in 68 Classifieds)