1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oodle external feeds

Discussion in 'Modules / Plugins / Modifications' started by crystal, Jun 18, 2008.

1. crystal Customer

I found this thread, with an external.php file created just for Oodle feeds (oodle_external.php). I tried this and it does not work with v4. Does anyone have an update to get this working with v4? I would really like to use this on my site!

http://www.68classifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4110

Thanks
  2. Eric Barnes Guest

From glancing at that file I believe it should work with one minor change.

Find ".PREFIX."products and change to:
    ".PREFIX."listings
  3. crystal Customer

Thanks Eric! :D That got the feed working.

Is there any documentation on external.php? I need to add the location (city, state, zip) to my feed.

Thank you!
  4. Eric Barnes Guest

Here is the only documentation available:
    http://www.68classifieds.com/knowledge-base/article/rss-feeds/

The city and state are being pulled from the database. You can use these variables and place them where you want:
    $listing['city']
    $listing['state']

To add the zip you just need to add it the query:
    u.state, u.city, u.country FROM ".PREFIX."listings
    to
    u.state, u.city, u.zip, u.country FROM ".PREFIX."listings
  5. bgordon Customer

Ok... I downloaded the file and made the changes to make it compatible with v4 but am a little lost on how to show 'extra' field (from their array) values in it?

For example I have an extra field where sellers specify the currency. I know it's id but am not sure how to call it for display in the loop. Right now there is a static field for currency with USD. I need to replace that with the actual extra field value from the listing.

BTW... for those of you who want the version 4 of this script, I will include it as an attachment. I made the changes to the tables etc that make it work with V4.

Hope someone can help me customize it a little bit more to meet my needs. I am sure that others will want to display some of their extra field values in the oodle feed too. Once I figure it out, I will post the new code for the community with the edits explained.

PS: For some reason (likely security) I was unable to upload the file as oodle.php. I renamed it to oodle.txt
    You will need to save it as oodle.php in your root 68c directory and it should work for you.

Can anyone show me specifically what code I need to add or modify to show extras from ID4 for example?

Attached Files:

6. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

7. bgordon Customer

Thanks.. I just visited your blog but it does not mention anything about showing extra field values... am I missing something... I did learn that I can throw arguments in the command line to filter the results returned (cool). Thanks for that... I saw the code for that but did not know how to call it.

Anyway, any light you could shed on the extra fields thing would be greatly appreciated.

8. Lhotch curmudgeon

Have you ever actually used oodle to try and locate something of interest? CRAP! its filled with utter crap and stuff in the wrong categories etc. There is stuff from sites that is totally misleading, you click a link that says "BUY THIS" and it takes you to some spam money making ad.
  9. bgordon Customer

Fair enough... I have never actually evaluated the effectiveness of having the ads there... I personally don't search oodle for anything. That being said though, I have been pushing ads to oodle for over a year and my clients are used to seeing it so in my launch of a new 68c site, I wanted to keep the same exposure. I know I can do it now with the file but I really need to show the currency as what it is.

It will be far easier just to send them the ads then try to explain to my clients why oodle sucks.
  10. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

Yep, couldn't agree more! What do you expect from a site that is completely free and allows/accepts feeds from anyone?

-Mike
  11. bgordon Customer

I know we are going off topic here... but where else do you guys recommend sending feeds to increase exposure? I send to oodle, vast.com, google base and feedburner...

What are your best bets? Where do you guys send to and get results either in increased traffic or simple page rank from inbound links? I don't think I can push ads to craigslist can I?

In any case, to send them to any of the above, I need to show the right currency field value... so no matter what I am kinda stuck here.
  12. petey Member

This version doesn't include the tweak posted above by Eric (re PREFIX). I made that change and now the feed file is being created. I still need to add some fields like city etc. but it looks like that is covered in this thread.

PS bgordon I think you posted your file twice as I may have seen it in another thread re oodle. You might want to pull it down and link back to this thread so there's just the one updated file. Up to you. Thanks for the help.
  13. petey Member

cron job?

It seems that Oodle wants to download the resulting xml file daily.

So what's the command to run this feed script daily and output to a file? I guess it's a cron entry?

Thanks.
  14. petey Member

found it

Never mind I got it working with cron. Here's the command I have in the cron panel on my hosting, in case it helps anyone. I have it scheduled to run daily.

/usr/local/bin/php /home/mysite/public_html/oodle_external.php >/home/mysite/public_html/feed_output_file.xml

Cheers.
  15. Drew New Member

I have submitted the feed to Oodle a few days ago and it worked but since the first submission no other listings showed up. Can anyone tell me what to do?

Thank you.
  16. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

I've personally never used Oodle, but I went to their site and to this help link.

A few things to keep in mind from the help pages at oodle is:
    1. We only accept feeds constructed in the proper Oodle Format. All other feeds will be rejected.
      1. The REQUIRED fields are different per category and can not be blank.
      2. Images can not be a "Not Available" text/image.
    2. It may take up to 30 days for approved feeds to go into our index. You will receive an email when your listings have been processed.
    3. Listings are not guaranteed to show up on Oodle.com or the Oodle Network.
  17. petey Member

Sorry - I sold my domain a couple years ago and no longer run 68classifieds, and don't remember what I did to get it working. Try contacting oodle for support.