1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V3.1 custom template in v4.2.5

Discussion in 'Templates, HTML, CSS, and Design Help' started by Kirk Shultz, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Kirk Shultz New Member

I just upgraded from v3.1 to v4.2.5, which is a completely new install. Does anyone know if I can just copy my old custom template folder over and start using it? I imagine some issues would arise, but I think it would be easier than making all the changes over again.
  2. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

v3.1.x is End Of Life. There are many, many changes since then.

You should be able to use it, but you will certainly run into issues.
    1. The first thing that you'll want to do is get rid of the ".php" extensions (e.g. "layout.tpl.php" -> "layout.tpl").
    2. The next thing you'll need to do is create a config.php file and put that in the template folder which is now required (Make a copy of the one from "default" template and edit it.).
    3. You'll also run into issues with some of the smarty plugins such as the featured listings, which has been replaced by the listings plugin (with featured simply being one of the parameters).
    4. There are several smarty variable name changes that are sent to individual template files, so if something doesn't show up, compare it to the corresponding default template file to see the variable name and of course the smarty {debug} is your best friend for these types of changes.
    Best of luck to you!
  3. Kirk Shultz New Member

Thanks, I'll have to start comparing the folders/files and determine which way to go. I originally used the default template and customized it to my liking (10 year ago or more). I might be better off just using my custom template for reference and working on the default again. I wish I knew which way would be less work/faster. Starting over with the new default template would avoid having to debug/troubleshoot.
  4. Mike-N-Tosh Owner

If it's heavily modified, I would use your custom template. If you do decide to use the default, do yourself a favor and make a copy of the default. Name it appropriately and don't forget to change the name in the config file. Also bear in mind the way that the templating system works. You may not need to copy every sub-template file. If a template file isn't in your custom template folder, it will fetch the file from the default template folder. Although I wrote this article years ago (for v4.1), it still holds true and explains exactly how the templates work.
  5. Kirk Shultz New Member

I have, as I originally did, make a copy (renamed) to work with. I always keep at least one virgin copy in case I ever need it. I found your blog and am using it to re-familiarize myself with the script. I remember your posts from ten years ago when I first started with 68C. I did a lot of under the hood modifications then and you helped me a lot. Thanks again. I got detoured raising four kids and am now re-starting this project. I'm only doing bodywork this time, although I had bought several mods and am wondering if they still apply.