1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improved seo

Discussion in 'Site Marketing' started by BlackWebs, Sep 24, 2013.

1. BlackWebs New Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a particularly good traffic rate purely based on search engine queries? Unfortunately we're not see any progress at the moment, though I know our specific terms are being searched for frequently...

2. BlackWebs New Member

Here are the SEO updates we've done so far:
    • H1 key terms on the category pages
    • Ad URL updated with '%ITEM%-for-sale'
    • Metatag terms - Title, Description
    • Regular key term inclusion on home page etc
    • Sitemap submission
    • Search engine submission
    I remember when we had a similar site running on Wordpress is was doing ok - but I don't think Wordpress is the right solution for this.

Any tips you guys can share would be much appreciated!

www.supercartrader.com

Thanks
    Tom

PS. I've had to split this post into 2 because the forum doesn't seem to allow long messages :|
  3. freeze2 Super Moderator

Hey there, a couple of things that I noticed while taking a quick look.

On a listing Page, the following meta was showing:

Code:
    <title>Supercar Trader | Private &amp; Trade Supercars for Sale | Ferrari 512M</title>
    <meta name="Description" content="This Ferrari 512M is in literally stunning conditi..." />

The <title> should always start with a brief description of the product being sold. At the least it should show something like:

Code:
    <title>Ferrari 512M For Sale</title>
    I would highly recommend using extra fields for your ads (model, make, color, transmission etc.) and then incorporate them into the meta tags. Doing this, you could automatically have an ad like this show something like:

Code:
    <title>Used 1998 Ferrari 512M For Sale</title>
    <meta name="Description" content="Used 1998 black Ferrari 512M for sale from The Supercar Rooms in Worcestershire (UK)." />

The same should be applied for your categories as well.

Current:

Code:
    <title>Supercar Trader | Private &amp; Trade Supercars for Sale | Alfa Romeo</title>
    <meta name="Description" content="Alfa Romeo for Sale" />

Could be something like:

Code:
    <title>Used Alfa Romeos For Sale</title>
    <meta name="Description" content="See a large selection of Alfa Romeos for Sale on Supercar Trader, your source for private and trade Supercars." />

These are just examples of what you could do.

Also, I would setup your RSS feed through Google FeedBurner and have it automatically ping Google each time an ad is placed. Doing this, greatly improves the time to get your pages on Google.
  4. BlackWebs New Member

Hi Freeze2,

Thanks a lot for your time - that's great help. I've implemented all that you said - although I don't seem to be able to modify the Category/Browse pages - do you know where I do this? For the individual ad pages I've done a Smarty conditional on viewlisting.tpl - but it doesn't work for browse.tpl for some reason.

I will let you/the forum know how this turns out over the next few weeks.

Thanks
    Tom
  5. freeze2 Super Moderator

Hey Tom, have you tried:

{if $body=='categories/browse.tpl'}
  6. Sorry but I just have to mention this.

BlackWebs - Your website looks spectacular. I am really impressed with the layout and the overall feel of the site. Absolutely awesome!!!!
  7. BlackWebs New Member

Thanks Freeze2 - that work great. I meant to say in the last post too - I've had to minimize the extra fields to some basics as we're automatically importing data from dealership websites - some of which don't have all the seperated details, but they all seem to have the Mileage and Year as standard.

Thanks PerformanceCentral - it's getting there, it's gone through a few iterations to get to this stage....